When Marriage Counseling Fails

The Fishers were a Christian family in crisis. 

April 10 was the 20th anniversary of Mary Fisher's death. She and her two children were murdered by the children's natural father and Mary's husband, Robert Fisher...after they attended couple's counseling at their church. 

As of this writing, Robert is still at large

Mary Fisher was a Christian woman who was abused for years while she and her husband were active members of a complementarian Baptist church in Scottsdale, AZ. Typical Christian response to domestic violence failed Mary, Brittney, and Bobby Fisher.

I was recently contacted by a young man doing a documentary on Robert Fisher, who is still on the FBI's Most Wanted list. He reached out to me because I wrote about the case in my article, "Would Mary Fisher and Children Still be Alive if her Church Taught Equality Rather Than Male Headship." 

But the young man was hesitant to contact me for comment because we appear to be on separate sides of many issues. We probably are. But I am glad he contacted me anyway.

 Below is an excerpt from his email to me:

"...your affiliated website passionately talking about the ERA “focusing on common ground & leaving out issues that divide” convinced me that I could hopefully trust you in good faith. Your writings are excellent and there is a confidence and gumption in you that I deeply admire...we seemingly have close views on complementarianism and how it sadly may have contributed to this tragedy."

This was my reply: "Dear ----,Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I am passionate about ERA, but doubtful to ever see it pass. Sadly, no one in Congress or Senate has seen fit to champion the Equal Rights Amendment in decades. It was given a bad rap and people are frightened of it for no good reason. It is the one amendment that would have guaranteed Constitutional equality not just to women but to every American across the board. Period. Women's rights are human rights, and every person's human rights should be protected--no exceptions. Have you read my statement of life? Jocelyn Andersen: My Statement of Life


I am also passionate about women's autonomy within the Christian community. Complementarianism in all its forms is malignant. How did you plan to interview me?"

Christians are commanded to bear one another's burdens. The Fishers were a family in crisis who attended church regularly--likely several times a week. Who bore Mary Fisher's burden with her? Would she and her children still be alive today if someone had?


 Author and speaker, Jocelyn Andersen, is an eclectic Christian writer. She is a Bible teacher who writes about many subjects including Bible prophecy and equality of the sexes. She is best known for her advocacy in domestic violence awareness. Her book, Woman Submit! Christians & Domestic Violence, has been a staple in the library of resources on that subject 

To receive Jocelyn's newsletters, subscribe HERE.

To receive an announcement from Amazon whenever a new book is released by Jocelyn Andersen, subscribe to Her Amazon author's page.

To Contact Jocelyn: Use the contact form in the sidebar of her blog at www.jocelynandersen.com to leave comments on her books, to reach her with questions, or to request for her to come and speak at your group. 


 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment