God Bless Caregivers

For the past month, I have been entering into a new stage of life as caregiver for my aging mother. It has given me insight into the stresses and challenges of caregiving. 

One of the biggest things I have learned, is that caregivers essentially live life for two but the largest percentage of daily activity goes toward the activities of the loved one. My mother is still able to get around but needs transportation help with all her appointments (LOTS of them) and social activities. So, I now attend her church, visit her friends, and do her shopping. My needs get wedged in with or between hers. 

The first few weeks were stressful beyond belief. Thank God I have the support of my friends and siblings. At some point, I may seek out a support group for caregivers. Things are beginning to settle into a routine now...but with new challenges arising daily.

I am blessed to be able to do this for my mother, and I am blessed to now understand what other caregivers have experienced for millennia. 

God bless caregivers everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment