Upside Down World


 By Pastor Gary Fisher

Roller coasters are usually a lot of fun.  I enjoy the thrill of the adrenaline rush as the coaster goes through its run.  I started riding them when they were tame by today’s standards.  I can remember the first time I rode one that turned you upside down while at its fastest speed.  

My heart raced as I peered at the world from this unique perspective. Then in less time than my heart could beat again, we were right side up once more.  

My brother and I rode side by side on that day and when the car returned to the gate the attendant had trouble getting our harnesses unlocked.  For a moment I thought I was going to be stuck on that ride for a long time, looking at the world upside down over and over again. I did not relish the idea of seeing my world from that uncomfortable position.  Luckily there was a supervisor on duty that came to our rescue and released us from the fear of being forever stuck on that amusement park ride. 

I have often thought about that day as I have been forced to look at the world turned upside down.  Most of us feel like we are stuck on a roller coaster that runs through its cycle turning our world upside down.  We are being forced to view right as being wrong and wrong as being right. Laws are twisted and altered to suit the prevailing whim of politicians and activists.  Today the criminal is the hero who is sadly “misunderstood and mistreated.”  The victim of the criminal is the selfish bigot who decides to press charges because he is “intolerant and ignorant.” Courtrooms are now stages for actors and actresses who have little respect for the truth and certainly no regard for justice. Highly paid athletes and movie stars take shots at freedom under the protection of their first amendment rights.  But let someone point out the values of truth and honesty in daily actions those same privileged people will cry foul. 

“Truth forever on the scaffold, wrong forever on the throne” is a quote from 1844 when James Russell Lowell recognized the inequities of his day. The prophet Habakkuk lived and died many centuries ago, but his words live on and ring with a truth that our present day can understand. “Destruction and violence are before me.  Strife exists and contention arises.  Therefore, the law is ignored and justice is never upheld. For the wicked surround the righteous; therefore, justice comes out perverted.”  Habakkuk 1:3-4 

When I look at the news or hear political rants or am subjected to yet another voice accusing me of being the problem with the world, I feel as if I am stuck upside down on that roller coaster.  The attendant can’t seem to free me from this position.  It is then that I remember there is a Supervisor! And He will come to the rescue. He will deliver me and turn the world back right-side-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment