Review of Lydia's Song: A Child Lost A Woman Found

  ...I did not want to read this book. I cringed at the subject matter. But I am so glad I overcame my initial reluctance and read it anyway. Katherine Blessan does not pull any punches. She dealt with the horror and tragedy of child sex trafficking head-on, yet somehow managed to craft a compelling story, that is ultimately a redemptive story of hope.

I loved it.

The book is about a tiny girl named "Song," who was kidnapped from her adoptive mother, Lydia, and sold into the sex trade at age ten.The story is told from both Song's point of view and Lydia's. It is a well written and sensitive depiction of a dark underbelly that exists in most societies, what is being done to little girls like Song, and also about the people who risk and dedicate their lives to rescuing these precious children, and, after that, spend years helping them to recover from their experiences and reintegrate back into society.

The novel is a bit graphic in places, but I believe no more than necessary, and my hat is off to Blessan for having the courage to write faithfully. I strongly recommend this book. Everyone needs to read it. I pray Lydia's Song will be read and shared and read and shared and read and...

And that eyes and hearts will be opened to the plight of girls who desperately need us to care enough to step out of our comfort zones and at least read about them. And after that, to hopefully become voices against their enslavement and for their rescue. 

Lydia's Song: The Story of a Child Lost and a Woman Found by Katherine Blessan (19-Sep-2014) Paperback: Amazon.com: Books






Subscribe to Jocelyn’s Updates & Newsletters: http://eepurl.com/dgDt6b


No comments:

Post a Comment