My life after age 65


Ok, I'm living out loud here. I don't usually do this but just feel like it today. Ah the joys of getting older and breaking loose from artificial or external constraints. I don't have to worry about my blog or social media content affecting my workplace environment. Because guess what? I don't have a workplace environment!

Don't get me wrong. I still work. I stay plenty busy working from home writing and doing editing jobs. But, oh my, I do love being retired!

My first few years after retirement were spent traveling to spend time with children and help out with grandchildren. Then my aging mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, which we suspected she had suffered from for quite some time. My siblings and I continue to work together caring for mom.

I read as much as I can. All kinds of books. This is my second year doing Goodreads reading challenge. You can follow me there for tracking my progress if you like. 

I'm currently doing research on a new non-fiction book project--I have been asked by a New York publisher for a book proposal! And I've begun publishing second editions of my older-but-evergreen non-fiction titles,  ... and I'm working on my first novel!

And in my retirement, I've become a gig musician of all things. Follow my music page on Facebook if you like. Links to my music are there. I love , love, LOVE it! Among my favorite places to sing are memory care and adult day care facilities--plenty of those in central Florida. 


I'm slowly working my way into the coffee shop and folk festival scene and having a blast. I'll be singing at Barberville's Playing on the Porches event in a few weeks. It will be my third Porches event this year and is one of my absolute favorites! The handsome fella next to me in the picture (right) is my son. It doesn't get any better than gigging with your kid!

One of my goals for 2025 (God willing and Jesus don't come) is to compete in the power-lifting competition at the senior games in my county. No, I won't be doing bench-presses, lol :), but I may be able to make a good showing in the deadlift category for my age-group. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I go to the gym 2-3 times a week, and I'm working on strength and endurance. Today I walked 3 miles on the treadmill at an average pace of over three miles an hour with an average heart rate of 85 bpm. I plan to improve on that within thirty days. 


Back to the music, which is front and center for me right now. Just because I sing professionally these days, doesn't mean I don't enjoy hanging out with friends at my favorite open mics. I have a few favorite haunts in that respect--and I'm considering adding karaoke at a local diner to that.

So, bottom line is I'm finding life after 65 to be great fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment