Can God Use Me?


 By Pastor Gary Fisher:

I must admit there are times I feel a little overwhelmed.  I look around and see that I am surrounded by folks getting great things done while it’s all I can do to make it through the week. 

At times like that, it becomes easy to fall into the well of comparison and find myself drowning in discouragement.  “Compared to ‘so and so’ I’m not making nearly the difference he or she is. I find myself getting lost in the never-never land of comparison.  Things can go from bad to worse if I can’t find my way back to reality and regain my sense of direction. I remember that God called me to be—well me, not someone else.  

I can’t always accomplish things that others may finish with ease.  There is one thing I can do, and that is to do my own little bit and trust that, at the end of the day, it will be enough.

Centuries ago a little boy found himself in the midst of a vast crowd of people.  It was more people than he had ever seen before. He had come out of curiosity about a man named Jesus. Not knowing how far he would have to travel or how long he would be gone, the boy had packed a small lunch for himself, a couple of small fish and some bread.

Suddenly a man tapped the lad on the shoulder and asked what was in his hand.  The next thing the boy knew, his lunch was in someone else’s hand; and that hand was using his food to feed over five thousand people!

Once Jesus got hold of the boy’s simple meal there was no limit to what could be done.  There was no way the youngster could have known that he would play such an integral part in one of the  most famous miracles in history.  Neither did he know that he would taste his own food once he relinquished it.

The Teacher proceeded to use the boy and his food as an object lesson that has stood for centuries.  In giving up his meal the boy in return received a bigger meal and a bigger place on the stage of humanity.  His generosity still teaches the same lesson now as it did then.

To all who feel overwhelmed or who are tempted to take such a critical look at their lives and feel insignificant . . . take heart!  Do what you can!  You may find yourself being an example to others and being fed at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment