1 Corinthians 14:14-15: Tongues of Angels

For if I pray [in] tongues my spirit prays but my understanding is unfruitful What is it then I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the understanding 
also [1]  I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the understanding also


[1] Praying in the Spirit is not the same as praying with our understanding. Praying in the Spirit is praying in heteroglossos, strange unknown tongues of a different sort (a language but not any earthly dialect), “for no mortal understands." 

That is because we are speaking to God and not to mortals. (1 Corinthians 14:2).” Paul mentioned speaking in the tongues of angels (1 Corinthians 13:1). That is heteroglossos. One of the benefits of praying in tongues is that our faith is built up. 

Jude wrote that we build up “our most holy faith praying in the Holy Ghost.” That is not silent praying. That is praying in heteroglossos. 

Romans 8:26-27 tells us that when the Holy Spirit prays through us, we are praying the perfect will of God. The passage in Romans refers to spoken prayer. The text supports an audible, though not linguistically understood, utterance. The “groanings which cannot be uttered” are audible but inarticulate speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment